March 22, 2006

What Career?

Is it just me or is Central Oregon freakishly expensive? Not "wow, that milk is fifty cents more here" kind of expensive... but "Oh my freaking God, that house just sold for $100K more then it did 6 months ago!!" kind of expensive. Um, Yeah. Does not encourage happy thoughts for the future of a renter in the area.
Because of this disgusting rise in value ( yeah, kicking myself hard in the dimpled area for selling that little house 3 years ago) we have come to the uncomfortable conclusion that we can either be renters forever or we can move on when the time comes. Since the odds of me giving in and renting for more then a few years more are about as good as my odds of winning the Powerball and buying in the area... I think we'll be moving on. As soon as Matt finishes school, we will search out gainful employment in a more economically friendly area... and ONCE AGAIN pick up and move. Great. I hear Washington calling.
After our recent visit to the Childrens Museum in Portland, I realized that I miss the city. I LOVED being able to take my little lady there to play.. she had SO much fun! If we still lived in Gig Harbor, we would no doubt have a season pass to the zoo and childrens museum up there. Raegan would be exposed to so much! As it is now, I get one day off with her to play. Where do you go for neat educational experiences in Central Oregon? The activity place in the local Old Mill district is disappointing to say the least. When it warms up there are parks a-plenty.... It's just that lately, with the cold weather, we end up being VERY redneck and going to Fred Meyer Superstore or Wal Mart where we let Raegan run willy-nilly around the clothes racks, playing peek-a-boo out of the mens sweat pants display. She LOVES it, and it is kind of funny seeing her giggle and run carrying a package of Speedo briefs she managed to snag off a shelf... but what is she learning from this (other then stores are a great place to play.. Which I'm thinking isn't the best lesson to learn...) How is this enriching her? How is this benefiting her? I'm thinking it isn't. It seems, in Central Oregon, that unless you have a group of similarly situated friends to bond and play with, there isn't much to offer the budding toddler group. Since we have a habit of moving ( yeah..I'd say 11 moves in 8 years would constitute a habit) we have a hard time bonding and making friends. Now, with our current lifestyle, it is even harder. Limited income, one vehicle, full schedules with that vehicle... Leaves very little time and money with which to cultivate a hobby, etc. that might produce deep friendships. Not complaining, as I'd rather spend all of my time with Matt and Raegan anyway. Matt is my best friend, and Raegan is my obsession. Just pointing out how that can limit one's activities.
Anyway ( see how I ramble??) this means that I will not be pursuing a Real Estate career in Oregon after all. Here, there are so many "spoons" in the "pot" that only full time dedicated RE agents will get ahead.. and they DO get ahead. But I have a family to think about. I'd rather be money poor and family rich any day. Having a parent raise our children is very important to us. That means that I can't "afford" to be the full-time all out Real Estate agent that is required in this area till Little Man is ready for school. It's just too expensive to maintain an active license, with all the fees and dues required, unless you are going all out. I've quit school, received a partial refund for courses not completed ( Which is crap. I'd have to take ALL clock hour courses over if I wanted to pursue this in future. It is an all-or-none kind of thing.) and am planning to just sit on the idea till we FINALLY decide what the heck our LONG TERM plan is. Right now... Only plan... Matt finishes school. Check. Getting good grades, learning lots. Then.. Matt uses education to find employment in larger community where home ownership is a possibility ( probably back to Gig Harbor. I like it there.) The rest is up in the air.
Again.
You'd think I'd be used to this by now.

11 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

Well, you are going to go and make me cry. Hopefully, for my sake, this doesn't pan out and you decide to stay in the area. As much as you drive me nuts and we as sisters don't get along like we should, could, whatever, the thought of our girls being separated by mountains and metroplolis, rivers and streams, and 6 hours.... well, it makes me want to throw up. I'm not going to think about it until I see bags being packed.

Sabrina said...

No immediate worries. There would be no bag packing for at least another year. Matt is on 12 credits a term, and if he wanted to finish in 2 years he'd have to be taking 16. So yeah, not immediate. Maybe Real Estate will take a dump in the mean time... maybe as Rae gets older I discover more productive and exciting things to do with the kiddos. There are great plusses being here, but there are some big downfalls too. Just mulling around ideas to try to make the best decision for us long term.

Davinie Fiero said...

Well.... my advice to you is this. 11 moves in 8 years means you run without figuring things out. That ain't good for the mojo, or the credit. So, whatever you decide, make sure you are thinking long term, and not spur of the moment. You have to start over every time you.... start over. Sorry for my emotions. This kid is killing me. I'm ready to be a mommy of two. I want my bebby back.

Sabrina said...

Well, the plan thus far has us living here for the longest stint of time we've ever done. We'll relax for a moment. All of this hinges on some fab job offer due to education anyway. If the offer is here, then we take it and figure the rest out. Playing by ear is a thing we do..

The Writer said...

Hah! An espresso says we move before you do! Either way, you will be about as far away here as in Washington. Wanna come visit me? I'll fly ya over!

Sabrina said...

You're such an ass. Of course you move first... you're leaving in like 5 weeks or something!

Yes. You will fly me over.

=-)

The Writer said...

Fly you over? Or was it fly over you? I forget. And if I'm an ass, you are the gaping hole in my heart, baby! Aren't you done hatching that egg yet???

Anonymous said...

You should never count on real estate to rule your lives.
what is happening here, is happening everywhere!
Just take one day at a time!!

alyca said...

not much to add to this discussion other than support....and remember that Papa is selling his house and won't be in Gig Harbor any more, AND...the narrows bridge replacement is almost open, and BOTH bridges will have tolls for a couple years... a couple bucks each way will really add up....but there are tons of smaller communities up here that are not too close to Seattle/Tacoma to be overly spendy. Or, there are also tons of places around Portland that are the same way. Or Vancouver. You could more to a more city-ish place and still be somewhat close to the Fieros and Amersons and Mom. Just don't rush it. Make a decision then wait a month or so before starting to act on it, be sure that it is the RIGHT decision for your family.....

Stephanie said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I live in New Jersey and the real estate is out of control. I feel lucky to have purchased my house almost 9 years ago, so I don't have to worry about trying to buy right now. But how long can we keep up with our taxes and cost of living. I agree that it is important to try to find an area in which you can raise your children comfortably and not have to worry day-in day-out about how much something costs. It is just crazy!

Life Is Good said...

Yah know, something sucks pretty much anywhere you go. Real estate as a whole is pretty frustrating but somebody must be able to pay it since there are so many people where the real estate is. Don't shoot from the hip unless you have a back up plan but at the same time you only really have to consider your immediate family. People live states, countries and even continents apart and do okay. As far as Frances is concerned.... I'm counting the days till she leaves! Just kidding.