September 29, 2008

The Cake: A Fondant Mess

I tried my hand at fondant for Raegans fourth birthday cake this year. The pink is marshmallow fondant I made myself, the yellow green and white is store bought fondant I dyed. Tip for those considering: make your own. Real fondant tastes like poo-souffle. Like... Crisco mixed with powdered sugar. Not so tasty. I spent hours the night before kneading out the fondant, rolling them perfectly flat, cutting out my shapes, "gluing" them together... Then I slipped all of my cake toppers into a freezer bag and stored them in the oven so that the kids couldn't mess with them on the counter Sunday morning before the party.
But I am a huge doofus and forgot I'd put them in there, even though I made both a mental note AND a real one to myself reminding me that they were indeed in the hot box. So when I set the oven to pre-heat to make the cupcakes it took me a good 5 minutes to remember that my hours of slavery the night before were in peril. The Gods of sugary goodness must have been looking down on me when I pulled them out and found that the fondant hadn't completely melted into a puddle and the shapes were preservable for appropriate and eye-catching cake topping later on. Otherwise I may have made the news with the first fondant inspired Harri-Cari attempt.

Oh, and did you notice? Did you? Because it wasn't till we were lighting those candles to place the cake on the table for the grand finale' blow out that I, the MOTHER of the child, noticed that I have only THREE candles on her FOURTH birthday cake! THREE! But don't distress, a fourth was added post-haste and my child was indeed allowed by fate to turn the big oh-four.
Which she has done with much finesse and class, if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

Eskimo said...

The cake looks yummy!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY Raegan!!!!

Life Is Good said...

Very very cool! You are amazing! Of all the things I have done in the kitchen with varieties of foods...I have not ventured into the fondant arena...you have inspired me...I just may have to do it!