December 23, 2007

Mad Hatter



When I was in LA my buddy, the lovely Lynlee, gave me my first yarn and my first crochet lesson. After bunches and gobs of dishrags I decided I was ready to use that fancy soft yarn and attempt a real project. This hat I made for Raegan is made with Bernat Cotton Tots yarn. I varied the stitches; single crochet for 11 rows, then half crochet for about the same, with more single crochet at the top, leaving out every 4th stitch to taper it in. Then I kind of made up some silly tassle things to help camoflage the weird pointy top. Raegan will get it in her stocking on Christmas day, so I'll get some pics of it "live" then!

I am so excited to be learning this craft. It's something I've had my eye on for a while now, and I'm surprised at how fast I picked up the basics. Anything other then the basics, I'm still pretty confused. But for now, Look! A thing! That I made! That has a purpose! A useful one!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

alyca said...

Yeah--I've thought that knitting would be a fun hobby to do, but have not learned....maybe you can give me a lesson next time we get together.

Way to go--a hat is a big step up from a dishrag!!

Sabrina said...

Yah, I can't knit for beans. I've got a start right now but it looks just aweful. This is crochet.it is MUCH easier then knitting!

alyca said...

See---I have NO clue!!!

Eskimo said...

ahh..the talent!
i am lovin my dishrag!! ;-)