June 12, 2007

New Adventure?

The news is partially out, simply because I am totally crappy at keeping secrets. I wasn't going to tell family until I was further along in the process but then I thought, hell, why not? Supporters will support from day one, and if someone is opposed, give them a heads up so that future conversations/interactions can be as pleasant as possible without any toes getting stepped on!

So.

I have started along a new path. I have decided I'd like to be a Gestational Surrogate. This is for hundreds of reasons that would bore the crap out of you, so lets just say Matt is totally on board with this and I am really excited about the possibility! I am still in the early stages of the process, I have a physical screening and one more Psych exam to go through before we get into the nitty-gritty part of the process ( IVF! Injectable drugs! Woo Hoo for the cooter wand!) and it could be months before we really get going.. or never, depending on the evaluations.

I will be starting a new blog to detail the whole journey with the intention of saving it to disk and giving it to the IP's ( intended parents... look at you learning the jargon!) when the journey is complete. I'll keep this blog for MY children! If you are interested in supporting me on this just let me know and I'll give you the new URL when I've got one. For the sake of full disclosure you should know that those IP's could very well be a Gay or Lesbien couple. You'll need to be OK with that if you want the other URL. If this isn't something you can support, that's fine! I know my friends and family are a diverse lot of people and some of you might not be OK with this..... I also know my friends and family love me regardless, so I am comforted knowing that even if you don't support me in THIS, you support me in general. No hard feelings if this isn't something you're OK with!

8 comments:

Kate said...

Wow! What an amazing generous gift to give to somebody. I think it is a fabulous thing, and well... WOW - good on you!

I know a lady on another online forum type place who is 38wks with a surrogate baby, and I am just in awe of that.

I would love to follow your new journey if you wouldn't mind. :-)

Sabrina said...

Thanks Kate! I haven't got the other blog up and running yet.. in fact, it will probably be later this week or early next before I even create it. Need more fodder for writing before I begin! But I'll send you via your site the URL when I've got it!

Amber said...

Well you know I want to keep up on the process so I would love the URL when you get one!

The Writer said...

Me too! I want that address when you get your other blog up and running. For the record, I am in support of your decision and think it's great that you are doing this.

Plus, you'll be getting fat after I'm done! Ha ha!!

Sabrina said...

I've just sent you the URL, Thanks ladies!! See you on the "flip" side!

Anonymous said...

My dear Sabrina. As a generous gift ot a sister or brother I may be able to understand this. I cannot look at it as a gift to others as it is a purchase by those with money. I could come up with many reasons why NOT to do this but the most important one is that although all of us will die of old age, you will be increasing your chances of dying young by 100%. That frightens me. I care because I love you.
Papa

Sabrina said...

A child is always a gift. Always. My being paid to care for that child for 40 weeks doesn't make it any less of a gift. Please don't trivialize it like that. A child isn't chattel.

Kristi said...

What a truly amazing gift you will give to someone. I think this speaks volumes about your character.

Best of luck to you!