September 29, 2006

If One More Person Misspells My Daughters Name.. I'm Gonna' Call Their 6th Grade Teacher and Complain!!

When Two Vowels Go Walking



When two vowels go walking
The first one does the talking
In "boat" you hear the "o" and not the "a"

In "meat" you hear the "e"
The "a" sits quietly
The second vowel you see but you don't say

But...
Shh!

Just the two of us together
In "train" and "pail" and "rain"
The "a" speaks up; the "i" does not
But...
Shh! Let me explain

When two vowels go walking
The first one does the talking
In "brain" you hear the "a" but not the "i"

In "soap" the "o" is clear
The "a" you never hear
In "say" you say the "a" and not the "y"

But...
Shh! Isn't it neat?
But...
Shh! It can't be beat!
But...
Shh! It's such a dream!

Don't mean to boast
But here's a toast
We're quite a team!

When two vowels go walking
The first one does the talking
I'm sorry, number two, it's such a shame

Although it gives you pain
The rule is very plain
When two vowels walk
The first one says its name!

But...
Shh!

Yes, when two vowels walk
The first one says its name!

6 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

Umm.... welcome to my world. Get used to it. :)

alyca said...

Yeah.....not getting sympathy from me. uh--lee--ssa. Is that so hard?? Apparently.......

Sabrina said...

But.... this is basic English!! Reagan would be REE-gan. Raegan is RAY-gan... although you both have odd names, etc so get that "how do you say/spell it" crap all the time which i'm sure is frustrating.. but this isn't an odd name! AND I spelled it EXACTLY like it's sounds!!

The Writer said...

Not according to an illiterate America, you didn't.

I personally can't see why on earth you're surprised.

Haven't you seen the way they drive?

Life Is Good said...

Now was that Reagan like the president or Ray-gun like the one that used to come in that neat science fiction set when I was a kid?

I am pretty sure that no one does it on purpose. There are just too many variables in names nowadays- your sisters are classic examples. Everyone assumes that my daughter is a boy cuz I guess Dakota is a boys name - like Bob or Tom. I didn't know that when I named her that. Oh and when you are male and your first and last names are both first names or last names - well Jackson gets called his last name as his first name all the time. Oh well. When I feel the most frustrated is when people ask Dakota if she is north or south? Or there are the ones who think it is SOOOO very funny to call her Idaho or Nebraska cuz that is SOOO funny.
Unfortunately baby.... we are stuck with the "problems" with their names. There are worse things right?

Life Is Good said...

oh and all those rules..... in the American English ... they don't go by their own rules. Yah know, the rule applies unless........ it doesn't.