August 21, 2006

That's a Thinker.... *EDITED*

Recently in my in-box; the following.

Let's Say I Break Into Your House.
Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration. Certain people are angry that the US might protect its own borders, might make it harder to sneak into this country and, once here, to stay indefinitely.Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests.
Let's say I break into your house. Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave. But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors; I've done all the things you don't like to do. I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house). According to the protesters, not only must you let me stay, you must add me to your family's insurance plan, educate my kids, and provide other benefits to me and to my family (my husband will do your yard work because he too is hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part). If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends who will picket your house carrying signs that proclaim my right to be there. It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and I'm just trying to better myself. And what a deal it is for me!! I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of selfishness, prejudice and being anti-housebreaker. Oh yeah, and I want you to learn my language so you can communicate with me. Why can't people see how ridiculous this is?!

**********************************************

OK, so I agree with this.... to a point. I think the issue is larger then this lets on, though. A candid representation, this story just barely touches on the issue at hand, and that issue is responsibility. Your country sucks so you want to come here. I get that. When you get here you do the crap jobs that none of "us" want to do, so there is a place in society for you. Is it our responsibility to make that place? Should we learn to fill those roles ourselves? How about your country.. What is it's responsibility?

OK, so here's my "thing". Recently, as many of you know, I have adopted a "cause".
  • Bosum Buddies
  • is a charity based in South Africa in support of new mothers. *climbs on soapbox* We, as human beings, have a duty to support one another. These new mothers have nothing. They live in the poorest and most crime infested of areas. Many of these babies are the products of rape. Many of these mothers are but children themselves. They have NOTHING. Most of them leave that tiny hospital with nothing but their child and return to their home with nothing but despair. Is that my fault? Did I cause that?

    Are they my responsibility?

    Who knows. In my heart, I can't leave them to their own. I have taken it upon myself to help these moms in any way I can. I have a 100lb goal. I want to gather 100lb of supplies.. Clothes, cloth diapers, feminine products etc. to send to this group to give to these mothers.

    Mothers. Can you IMAGINE having a brand new baby and 6 hours OR LESS being sent home from the hospital to NOTHING. No diapers, no pads, no clothes, no crib, no support, NOTHING. Mothers. Can you IMAGINE losing your child, having a stillborn baby, a premature baby that dies... And being kicked out of the hospital with NOTHING. No medical aid, no maternal comforts, no support. NOTHING. You just have to go back out into that violence and poverty. Alone.

    So. I do what I can. I think, as a fellow mother, human being, it is my responsibility to do what I can to support.

    It is easy to look the other way, to do nothing, to complain. People flock to the United States in the thousands every year to try to HELP THEMSELVES because their own countries aren't helping them. Can you blame them for coming here? For fighting to stay here? Does that make it right? No. We could just turn a blind eye to the big problem and send everyone home, make legal immigration that much harder, make life "easier" for us. Or we could help. Help these countries set up aid programs. Help these countries help themselves. Then maybe people wouldn't be in such a rush to leave.

    One person at a time. These changes can be made.

    I'm taking a step. Your turn.
    * Steps down from soapbox*


    *********************

    If you want to contribute to my shipment to Bosum Buddies, please mail your gifts of aid to:

    Sabrina Merritt
    851 ne Nickernut Ave
    Redmond, OR 97756

    Talk to friends and family. Everyone has a little to contribute, and you put my little with your little and we end up with a lot. Think of the difference we could make.

    ****************************See, Y'all, this is exactly what I'm talking about. One comment. One. I feel rather safe venting here as no one reads the old stuff again so no one will see this but MY GOD, PEOPLE! I know a large group of people. I know you are reading this, I know you are THERE. Yet NO ONE steps up to the plate. The lovely Jen did comment ( thanks jen!) BUT NO ONE ELSE. This is what I mean. We have this ugilness all around us, people need help. What do you do? nothing. What to see a change? want things to be different? then get off your ass and MAKE the difference. You have no right to complain if you do nothing to help.
    A couple of months ago I had a post calling for aid for baby Aiden and his family in their time of crises. I asked for monitary donations or words of support. Imagine my disappointment when not ONE PERSON I KNOW IN REAL LIFE OR ONLINE WHO READS MY BLOG even made the teenie tiny effort of posting a supportive comment either here or on the referenced blog. Not one of you. You just don't care, not even enough to post a simple "i'm sorry for your loss". I think this attitude is the root of what is in error in our society. Too many people do nothing. Too many people rely on the government to help, give aid, etc. What about YOU? OK, rant over.

    4 comments:

    Life Is Good said...

    I can see and somewhat agree with every point you made.
    The US does help lots and lots and lots of countries. We not only as a government but as individuals send billions upon billions of dollars of aid out of this country every year for every cause imaginable. We get very few thank yous and other countries bash us at every opportunity for not doing enough. We cannot fix all the problems in the whole world and just because our country is successful does not mean that we should apologize or fix every other countries problems.
    I am just as soft hearted as the next person but just as bullheaded as others on this subject.
    Some of these other countries in which Mexico is just one of - as long as they are on the welfare system of the USA will not do anything to improve themselves.
    This includes our own citizens in our welfare system who feel entitled to the welfare benefits that they do not work to earn.
    Oooohhhh..... what a good debate subject.... I can already feel that my blood pressure is elevated and I should go do some crunches and lunges with this added energy.

    Good Job Girl!

    Amber said...

    I had talked to you at chatterbeans about it and do plan on donating some stuff! I sometimes feel that my comments are not warranted here since we don't really know eachother too well! But speaking of that Courtney and I are going back to chatterbeans next tuesday and if you're free would you be interested in joining us there? It'd probably be Tuesday mid morning, let me know!

    Sabrina said...

    Oh, Amber! I am sorry I didn't mention you in my rant.. your offer was the only kind of support I have gotten... Thank you so much for even just that! I'm having an issue with the whole walk the walk, talk the talk issue and was just frustrated when people I know, GOOD people, can't seem to see past themselves to the larger picture. People I KNOW could help, but aren't. People who claim to be helpers, but that is as far as it goes. I am kind of embarassed that anyone saw my rant, felt pretty safe putting it at the end of an old post... But you feel free to comment here whenever you want!! I'll check with Matt about Tuesday.. that would be fun!

    Amber said...

    Well I didn't mean to say it like I was upset that you didn't mention me in the rant, I was just half way joking and saying well I have talked to you before! But yeah definantly let us know about tuesday you can leave another comment or send me an email or whatnot amberdean83@yahoo.com