April 02, 2006

I'd Rather Change a Poopie Diaper Anytime

Yesterday I woke to find Raegan sleeping in a crib covered in vomit and a PJ's soaked with diarrhea. And I mean soaked.. as in head-to-toe pooling-in-footies soaked. After 3 more vomit sessions I was pretty worried. After changing a VERY pungent diaper filled with poo-water ( imagine a trendy tea stain) we were off to the doctors office. Morgan was picked up by her daddy to go home with her new baby ( after being hosed off with antibacterial spray/wipes).
There were 3 people in the waiting room ahead of me. I checked in, paid my co-pay, and we waited. 45 minutes later Raegan threw up all over me and herself. Off came her shirt. Another 45 minutes later and Daddy had arrived from work with a new shirt for her and Raegan had vomited yet again... but luckily this time I caught almost all of it with my collar, and her boo-ie caught the rest. The receptionist "kindly" offered us a trash can for Rae to throw up into. Yes, because 1.5 year olds have aim, and all of that. Forever later we were called back. They first asked to weigh Rae, to compare with her weight on Wednesday when she was in for her appointment.. I'm in the process of taking off her clothing when they stop me "Oh no need for that, we're just looking for some sort of loss in weight". I think.. how accurate can this measurement be if she is fully clothed now and previously she was completely naked? She was down 4 ounces.. so I wonder what the difference would have been with clothes off...
There are no pediatritians on call that Saturday morning. We are shown into a regular check room, and we wait for another 20 minutes. When the doc finally does come in, she doesn't even check Raegan. She just looks at the short chart, says it is a stomach virus, try to keep her hydrated. Um, OK....

"What virus is it?" There are several going around in this area, and a few, like Rotovirus, can be potentially fatal to Little Man if I am exposed for any length of time..

"Oh, it could be Rotovirus, but really we wouldn't know without sending her to a lab. Just keep her hydrated."

"She throws up minutes after anything gets in her stomach. Other then Pedialyte, what would you suggest we do?"

" Well...... just keep her hydrated. Offer it to her every 15 minutes or so. Here's a recipe for hydration fluid if you want to make it yourself!"

"OK... should I be concerned with the clear diarrhea?"

"Oh, did she have diarrhea too? Well, just make sure she is hydrated, and if she has really chapped lips or skin that tents a bit, bring her back in."

"Um... OK...."
Raegan is crying now, clinging to me, doing the pre-vomit cough-hiccup.

"Well, here's that recipe for the rehydration fluid! Hope she's feeling better!"

Then she left.

What did I learn... what did I pay these people $250 to learn?

Why, I learned that if your child is sick and you really need help or information, don't take them to the doctors office on the weekend!

Next time we'll go to the ER, pay a little more, and actually get a doc that will be somewhat helpful. Even if it is just a run-of-the-mill stomach virus, I could have gotten better medical advice, information, and empathy from my next door neighbor.

What, exactly, are these doctors for if not to care for the patient... and guess what, if it IS just a simple stomach virus, I am the patient... and I should not be treated like a complete ass. Keep her hydrated? Oh, I was just going to shove dry cheerios down her throat for the next 24 hours and buy her her very own tube of chapstick. What, you mean I should encourage her to DRINK??? Well, I never could have figured that out on my own!

5 comments:

The Writer said...

Hey, I know exactly how you feel. I sure hope she gets to feeling better soon, pedialite is the bomb and I have some fun medecine over here left over from Corb that could help if you are interested. Let me know!!

Life Is Good said...

Yah know, your experience seems more and more common. They either come in and give you a hmmm.... don't know must be the common flu or they tell you that it is the South American Woo Hoo Bird Intestinal Worm that is deadly but let's wait and see if you get REALLY sick before we run the tests.
Doctors are like the insurance companies and have us by the... and they know it!

Life Is Good said...

I forgot to say that I really really feel for you! One mommy to another - I so feel for you. I am so not a puke person either - I gag when I have to pick up dog poop!

Stephanie said...

Poor kid (and you too). Hope she is doing better.

The Writer said...

Ok, now you have to update because this post is causing me to picture the mess, and imagine the smell and I don't wanna anymore. So, come on girl!!