February 21, 2006

You Nasty Little Turd!

I am messing with the fish tank, cleaning up a bit, that kind of thing, when I hear a blood-curdling scream come from my precious child, my little girl, my heart. I turn to see my wee little bit of heaven clutching her cheek with both hands, "OWIE, OWIE!" and rush over, dropping the tank cleaner in the tank. I carefully pry her hands away from her perfect little face and what do I see? A Freakin, God Damned BITE mark!!!! I look over, and Tanner, that sneaky, sly little bastard* is sitting on the coffee table looking confused.
I am, at this moment, the picture of control ( right..). Raegan cradled in one arm, screaming, her face puffing up already.. I crouch down, look him in the eye.. my face turns purple... " TANNER!!!! NO BITING! BITING IS BAD! NO NO!" grab his arm, lead ( drag, a little) him to the end of the hall.. say, once again, with the utmost control " SIT. STAY." and took my sweet angel into the other room to cuddle. She would NOT let me put her down. She just cried, wanted her 'Boo-ee" ( blanket) and snuggled as close as she could get to my body, face in blanket, wailing. Oh. My. God. I have the spawn of Satan* sitting at the end of my hall. Granted, he is now somewhat scared himself, what with all the yelling and abrupt sit in a darkened hall and all. But Satan just the same.
A full 10 minutes pass. Raegan has calmed herself. We trek back to the end of the hall and sit down with Tanner.
"Tanner, the reason you got in trouble is because you BIT Raegan. Biting is NOT good. Biting HURTS. NO MORE BITING. Do you understand?"
" Yes."
"Please say you are sorry to Raegan. Are you sorry for biting Raegan?"
"Yes."
"OK, you can get up now."
For the next 10 minutes, Rae stayed glued to my side. Then... dinner was ready... Tanner had the green ball.... and the next thing I know she is gigging chasing him around the dining table trying to appropriate it. No lasting harm.
Apparently biting is a normal thing in kids. Some hit, some spit, some bite. Unfortunately for me, Tanner bites. Maybe NOT the spawn of Satan... but for a minute there... close.

Yes, just a nasty bruise. No broken skin. It is more purple today. My sweet child has a purple Tanner-mouth shaped bite on her face. I will forgive him someday. Till then.... well till then nothing. I know kids bite. But I never knew how hard it would be to see my baby in pain. I never knew how hard it would be to not completely squash the thing that caused her pain. Had it been one of the dogs, we would be one dog short today. As it is, it was not a dog, but a deceptively sweet little boy named Tanner. Can't really squash him, now can I? After all, he is someone else's angel.

*disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer....... I don't SERIOUSLY think so negatively of Tanner. This was my knee-jerk reaction to the event. Of course I don't really think he is the bastard spawn of Satan. When faced with a situation where you have the mose prescious being in your life in pain... well I'm surprised I didn't yell more. I know he is just being a normal kid. But I am allowed to vent about the whole situation.

6 comments:

alyca said...

Good job on the not-squashing..........I knew little kids bit, but I didn't know they bit THAT hard!!!

alyca said...

Hey--your baby is viable today! Woohoo! Looking forward to meeting my little nephew in a couple months......

Davinie Fiero said...

Oh geez! Glad she's okay. Morgan has nipped me in the leg before... and those little teeth can hurt! She wasn't even mad! I was making dinner, and she came up, was hanging on my leg, and then decided to take a taste! It startled me so much I shrieked and jumped back, which scared her to death! I hope she doesn't do that again. Good to see that Rae has no lasting effects besides the bruise. Poor kids just don't understand... good for her, bad for poor Tanner.

The Writer said...

Hey girl, I just want to point out that Corbin once bit his daddy hard enough to draw blood. On the tummy. In the middle of church. So, I totally feel for you and Rae, but damned if kids don't just do things like that. What weird little boogers they are.

Shelley said...

My first visit to your site.

Sorry your baby got hurt. I'm afraid some kids do things like that. Good opportunities to teach them right from wrong ...and on the other side all about forgiveness. :)

Shelley

Sabrina said...

Ahhh Shelly.... I now feel sheepish. I think I handled the teaching righr from wrong part pretty well... but I now see that I completely skipped the whole "forgiveness" part... and that may be the most important part. I have been somewhat dreading Tanner's next visit... worried about my wee girl.. and I never asked Raegan to tell Tanner that she forgave him.. as well as forgive him myself. Now granted, she would have absolutely no idea what was going on, but the intent needed to be there, and it wasn't. Thank you for the reminder.