February 28, 2006

A Stressful Non-Stress Test

Went in for my regular checkup today.
Gained 6 pounds ( ouch).

Listened to the little Man's heartrate... and it was pretty fast. In fact, it got up to 200. Then down to 170 when she pushed on him... a deceleration, but to a normal rate. But a deceleration. Plus... He moves around a LOT. I mean, a LOT. Enough that she commented on it before I did.

SO

I was sent over to the hospital.

I got to be all strapped in for a Non-Stress test for the little man. I am measuring a full 2 weeks ahead ( fundal height around 27) yet my weight is the same this time as it was with Raegan. I had 3 different nurses come in at different points to check the monitors. All three were amazed at how ACTIVE he is, and how STRONG for his age.... you should just be able to feel kicks now, maybe see them a little. Not with this guy! An athelete, he is. You can see his kicks from accross the room, literally. At a gestationl age of 23 weeks.


He did have a higher heartrate.. averaged out at 180 for the test, so just a bit above normal. No major dexelerations. He looks GOOD though. Just BIG. And HYPER. I had one contraction while I was there, it was just a small step above a Braxton Hicks, so not really a big deal. I am to "take it easy" ( as if I exercise now anyway) and keep in touch with how things are going.. as far as contractions/braxton hicks go. Pay attention to his movements... if they should really slow all of the sudden ( like, to a more normal pattern?) come in to be checked out.

So...... the Little Man is not so little, and I have managed to pass the "Curse of the Hyper" on to the poor guy. He is VERY easily excitable ("watch your sugar intake, he could be responding to that") and VERY bold in announcing his presence.

I go back in 2 weeks to check out how he is doing. Maybe an ultrasound then to see if we have too much fluid, or if he is indeed as HUGE as he seems. Will take another blood sugar test to rule out GD... Doc thinks I'm just growing a big boy. No signs as of yet of anything major. As long as the heartrate is consistant, then we won't worry.

Any-Hoo.... there's your update!

5 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

I'm glad everything okay. I pay stress-test claims all the time, so it's fairly common to get one. Fiesty little booger!

alyca said...

Tee hee....maybe you will get a monster like Jobie--10lbs 8 oz. Can we say epidural???

Davinie Fiero said...

Don't worry! Morgan is a big girl and she was 7/11x20 at birth. I was teeny as a child and was 7/13. So, while we have big genes in our family, you might get lucky and not have them at delivery.

The Writer said...

You need to call me!!!

Sabrina said...

Ugh.. the word "induce" was used in conversation.. as in if he looks like he is just monster big, they would like to induce early. Crap. I think no. No inductions for me. If he is big, then he is big. 10 pounds?.... Bring it on ( and I CAN say epidural... yes I can!)