December 11, 2005

Go Fish


OK. A recent and rediculious passion has been fish. Yes, fish. Very imaginative, I know. We have decided to buy Daryl and Ardenas large 60gal aquarium, and Grammie was wonderful enough to give us a very pretty 35 gallon one brought back from the Philippines by Greg and Niela. We're gonna have us a fish house!! I am so pathetically excited about all of this! I have been spending a indecent ammount of time online researching fish, and have come to the following conclusions:

1.-There are too many bloody fish out there to pick from.
2.-You have to know entirely too much information about PH, compatibility, water quality.. bla bla bla bla bla
3.-No one can help you like the fish store guy can help you ( Except your very own Grammie)

SO, for the big tank, we have decided on the Cichlid (sick-lid) family of fish. So far I have selected African Cichlids, as they seem to have the most color and are compatable with each other.. most Cichlids are somewhat agressive. Here's what we have so far:

Buffalo Head Cichlid ( Africa) 4 inch adult

Electric Yellow Cichlid ( Africa) 5-6 inch adult

Now I am on the hunt for some bright red fish.. all I have found is the Blood Parrot Cichlid ( sometimes called the Parrot Cichlid or Jellybean Cichlids), but that is a cross-breed fish, and I have a small moral delima with purchasing one, as most have been dyed or are in extremely poor health from the cross breeding. Will Update when I decide on fish #3. I am trying to find larger colorful fish for this tank because the whole idea is visual stimulationfor the little ones. We took Raegan to the local pet store, and she was just glued to those fish tanks... the lizards freaked her out ( the iguana in the floor level tank flicked it's tail and hopped when she neared the tank, and that girl CLIMBED my leg... was suctioned to my bod for the next 5 minutes) and the small animals ( rats, mice, etc) just seemed odd to her.. she was very questioning and saying "puppy??" not wanting to get too close to the tanks/cages. I think she is going to LOVE having her very own fish tank full of colors and large moving things. Plus, Cichlids are said to be some of the smartest fish out there, very inquisitive and egar to follow little fingers on the glass. I can't wait till we can get started!!

For the smalller tank, because some of the view into the tank is obscured by the gorgeous bamboo framing, we have decided to house just one larger fish.. and so far we are leaning towards an Albino Oscar or some New World Cichlids, which are very colorful but not compatable with the African Cichlids. Will keep you updated.

ANYHOO.. that is what I've been obsessing over for the last 10 days...

What's your input? Ideas? Ever run accross a fun looking fish for the smaller tank?

3 comments:

M3 said...

Wow, it sounds like it will be awesome once you have it all set up. Don't forget to post pictures for us all to look at! :-)

Oh, and sorry, but I am no help in the fish-selecting department. I had a fish tank in college but I kept a large-mouth bass in it. I caught him on a fishing trip with a friend and was too soft hearted to eat him so he became a pet. He lived for years.

Sabrina said...

Oh my gosh.. How EVER did you manage to keep a bass in a tank??!! What a neat thing! Yes, I am a catch and release kind of gal myself.. which when you think about it is pretty mean.." Here fishy fishy, let me poke holes in your mouth/throat, scare you half to death, pull you out of the water so you begin to suffocate (Must get a good picture)... and I'll happily let you go!.. Here fishy fishy..."

The Writer said...

All I can say is that you tell me the Chiclids are agressive and then you coo about them following Raegans fingers on the glass. That's just creepy you big weirdo!!! Also, keep in mind that freshwater tropicals are really easy to take care of. Ours are quite happy. Call me when you can!