November 23, 2005

Alas, no Ultrasound

Doc said he didn't feel we needed another ulstrasound today after all! We DID get a great, LOUD heartbeat of the little one, (161bpm) and s/he was sure wiggling around a lot!

No worries on that, though.. in just 8 short weeks, we will be getting THE ultrasound.. the BIG one... and I plan to tease those that care as long as possible about who we are having.

A question for debate, though.. Raegan won't be ready to leave her crib when the little one gets here. She is a tosser-n-turner, and I can't see her calming her sleep habits down any time soon.. SO.. should we plan on buying another crib.... or get a portable basinette to keep in our room till the wee one grows out of it, and re-evaluate Raegans readiness for a toddler bed then? I have been playing around with registries already ( yes, I know it's early, but that is just FUN) and have added both a great convertable crib and a wonderful and easily rolled around the house basinette. Where should we put out pennies? The wee one will probably spend a long while sleeping with us/ in our room anyway, so we thought the basinette would be good... But why waste the money on something that will only be used for a few months? But if we get the crib, what will baby sleep in in our room when s/he isn't in bed with us? ( honestly, this will only be like 2 hours a nite.. but i digress....)
Opinions welcome!

5 comments:

The Writer said...

You know my opinion! I feel that the bassinet was just what we needed. It's so portable. I think little ones can only sleep in there till they're about 3 months old though. However, perhaps Raegan will be ready for a toddler bed that is low to the floor and has rails like Corbin's? I think he fell out of his once or twice, but I did not find out about it till the next morning when I found him sleeping on the floor! It was pretty funny. He, I guess, never even woke up. So, I'm for bassinets, just cause you can take 'em anywhere!! (But, I am willing to discuss!!)

Sabrina said...

Yes, I am leaning toward Basinette myself.. The only issue I have is I need to find one sturdy enough that Raegan can't easily tip it over. The ones I like are $100! I'm thinking try to save up for the Crib, get a used bassinet from a local kiddie store, and just have it in our bedroom with the door closed.. so s/he can sleep in our room easily, but has a crib ready for that 3 month mark when s/he is ready to spend longer sleep times there.

The Writer said...

The bassinet is a good idea, but I bet your current little monkey will be in a toddler bed before you know it. I wouldn't want to end up with two cribs. That right there is a big chunk of cash. The bassinet I have was like $30 and it served us just fine. I just rolled it all over the house with me every where I went. Maybe you can attach a loop and keychain hook to it and when you are in the kitchen you can hook it to the fridge handle, and in the living room to something else so Raegan can't pull it over. Although, really she's just gonna have to learn what she can and cannot do with the new baby. Sad, but true.

Davinie Fiero said...

Don't you have a bassinet in your pack-n-play? Morgan is going to get a big girl bed when she turns 2, but I don't expect her to use it, and we were just going to use the pack-n-play until the little one/Morgan were ready for their beds. When Morgan was born a friend had lent us their cradle which we had in our room, but Morgan never slept in it. She either slept with me or on the bed. It's a few months before they can roll....

Sabrina said...

Yes, we have a basinnet on the Pac-N-Play.. and I hadn't even thought of that... Another option we thought of was search for a convertable crib ( that turns into toddler bed/twin bed head board and foot board) and give it to Raegan, and give the new bean Raegans crib.. just set it up in our room. ( Matt is just a genious... he quite brilliantly asked why in the world we wouldn't just set up the big crib there from the start.)